Makeup does more than alter a woman’s attractiveness, it also plays a role in her ability to form new relationships. While straight men look at a woman’s makeup or lack thereof to help determine her attractiveness, straight women use makeup to help judge other women’s personalities.
Research has discovered three key findings about how straight women perceive each other’s makeup:
- Women rate other women who wear makeup as more dominant. This perception that women who wear makeup are more powerful plays a role in why makeup is important to help women have successful careers.
- Women are more jealous of other women wearing makeup and perceive them as more promiscuous. This is particularly the case when women wear bold, sexy makeup, such as eye shadow and dark/bright lipstick.
Women bond faster with other women who wear makeup that is similar to what they themselves wear. We’re naturally drawn to people who are like us. So, it’s no surprise that makeup is one of the characteristics women look for in determining who to form friendships with. If you think about it, makeup says a lot about women, such as how much they value beauty, how much attention they desire, etc.
Men, on the other hand, tend to have varied opinions of women based on how much makeup she wears and how attractive that makes her appear. One woman discovered this when she did a social experiment to find out how men react differently toward her depending on her makeup levels. To test this, she created three Tinder profiles with three levels of makeup, ranging from natural to glamorous.
Check out the video to hear about the full experiment:
The three findings from this video that I want to highlight:
- The account with bare-faced makeup received the most friendly—not flirtatious—replies. Men appeared to see her as a potential new buddy as opposed to a sexually-attractive partner.
- The account with an average amount of makeup received the most flirty replies and request for dates.
- The account with the glam makeup gave men the impression that she was looking for easy hookups.
If you’re single, consider these findings when you present yourself on online dating and in any other settings you use to find dates.